Microneedling produces comparable results to techniques such as lasers, dermabrasion and deep chemical peels, but is much less invasive and does not require the removal of the skin surface.
As a result, healing time is shorter and there is no post-treatment sensitivity to UV light.
Microneedling is also one of the few skin therapies that is suitable for treating all skin types, including fragile skin around the eyes, mouth, hands, neck and décolletage.
How does microneedling work?
The concept of microneedling (also known as collagen induction therapy) is based on the skin’s natural ability to repair itself whenever it encounters physical damage such as cuts, burns, or other abrasions. Immediately after an injury occurs to the skin, the body removes the damaged collagen, elastin and other structures, which are then replaced by new components. Microneedling allows for controlled induction of the skin’s cell repair mechanism by creating micro-injuries which trigger new collagen synthesis, yet does not pose the risk of permanent scar. The result is smoother, firmer and younger looking skin. Results can be quite spectacular.
The micro-needles penetrate the top layers of the skin and create pin-point injuries in the deeper layers. This triggers the body’s natural wound healing response. As a result, new collagen and elastin is formed to reduce wrinkle depth, increase skin elasticity and improve the appearance of scars and other skin flaws.
What can I expect after the procedure?
Common effects that subside within 48 hours:
- Redness (erythema)
- Scratched skin appearance
- Sensitivity to touch
- Stinging and itching
- Minimal peeling
What are the benefits of microneedling?
- Visible and long lasting results usually after 6 weeks
- Natural collagen production for a year (on average)
- Minimally invasive
- No skin damage (no removal of epidermis)
- Minimal or no side effects
- Minimal discomfort post-treatment
- Short healing time (48 hours)
- Suitable for all skin types
- Suitable for all body parts including thin skin
Where does microneedling work?
- To restore firmness and tightness to flaccid skin
- To improve overall skin quality and texture by thickening the epidermis
- To smooth wrinkles, lines and folds
- To improve the appearance of large pores
- To reduce the appearance of atrophic and hypertrophic scars
- To improve scars caused by acne, chicken pox, burns or accident/injuries
- To help relax old scars
- To diminish the appearance of old surgical scars
- To lighten pigmentation marks
- To improve the appearance of stretch marks
- To improve the appearance of cellulite